Swift Programming for iPhone and iPad Applications
Length: 5 Days | Price: $2495
In this hands on Swift 4 programming course, attendees will learn how to develop iPhone and iPad apps using Swift and Xcode. Students begin by learning the fundamentals of the Swift language. They will explore how to build object-oriented applications by creating Swift classes with properties, initializers and both instance and class methods. They will see how to effectively use advanced Swift features like generics, closures, and error handling.
Students will use Storyboards to design user interfaces for iOS apps. They study how to configure view controller classes to interact with iOS views and controls (labels, text fields, buttons, segmented controls, switches, table views, etc.) using IBOutlets, create event handlers using IBActions and then code events handlers. They learn how to use segues to manage transitions between views.
Students will become proficient in implementing master/detail apps. Features explored include configuring table views, designing details views, implementing add features, and coding "swipe to delete". Students also learn how to implement different types of custom table view cells. This type of app is among the most common app found in the marketplace.
Students learn how to persist data using three different techniques: read and write local files on the device, make asynchronous calls to Web services and parse XML data from the HTTP response, and use Core Data to interact with local SQLite databases.
Students examine how to work with images, as well use touch and gesture recognizers to respond to complex user interactions like pinch to zoom. They learn how to use tab bar controllers to build a multi view app. They learn about the life cycle of an iOS app and how to write code to respond to state transitions, including scheduling code to run in background when the app isn't active.
Throughout the course, students work with the Apple's Cocoa Touch UI Framework. They examine how to implement Apple's delegate design pattern which is used in many APIs. Students practice these skills by working with pickers and collection views, as well as writing code to capture images with the camera.
The course emphasizes best programming practices. Comprehensive hands on exercises are integrated throughout to reinforce learning and develop real competency. Students will create iOS apps using Swift from the ground up, demonstrating the features of Swift, iOS, and its supporting code libraries.
Prerequisites: Prior programming experience in an object-oriented language such as Objective-C, Java, C# or C++.
- Swift Language Syntax
- Object Oriented Programming Support
- Using ARC
- String Manipulation & Pattern Matching
- Installing and Updating Xcode
- Code Development and Tracking
- Performance Testing with XCTest
- Event Driven Programming Model
- Model-View-Controller Development Paradigm
- Common Design Patterns
- Creating Threads
- Using Threads for Asynchronous Processing
- Apple Push Notification Service (APNs)
- Apple Media Services
- Designing Views
- Apple's UI Design Standards
- Using Generic Views and View Controllers
- Using Swift in Objective-C (Interfacing Protocols)
- Using Objective-C APIs in Swi
- Creating a Core Data Application
- Manipulating Core Data Objects
- Hardware Camera Use
- Audio and Video Systems
- Course materials include student guide, hands-on lab manual and USB flash drive containing examples and lab files
- Students receive a certificate of completion at the end of class
- Students can retake any portion of a class that has been completed, within 12 months at no extra cost
- There are no registration fees or cancellation fees
- Class sizes are kept small in order to provide you with more personalized attention
- Our instructors have many years of training and industry experience working in their respective fields