SQL Server 2014 Business Intelligence Application Development (SSRS, SSIS, SSAS)
Length: 5 Days | Price: $2795
This hands-on course introduces the SQL Server 2014 Business Intelligence Suite, including Reporting Services (SSRS), Integration Services (SSIS) and Analysis Services (SSAS). Students start by installing and configuring SQL Server 2014 servers that support SSRS, SSIS and SSAS. Hands-on exercises will be performed where they create various types of reports, including basic table-based reports, parameterized reports, drilldown reports, linked reports, sub-reports, matrix reports (pivot tables), free-form reports and reports with charts and gauges.
Students learn how to group data and add subtotals and totals to reports, as well as how to add custom calculations using the built-in functions or using custom functions written in .NET. Also demonstrated are all of the data sources for reports that Reporting Services supports including: SQL Server databases, Access databases, XML files, Oracle databases, data warehouses and Analysis Services data cubes. Report Models, and how they can support end users creating ad-hoc reports, are covered and students practice with them in comprehensive hands on exercises. This includes a demonstration of Report Builder, which is a free report authoring tool from Microsoft. The course includes a complete overview of Report Server administration, including how to deploy and secure reports, how to schedule automatic report generation and delivery, how to backup reports, how to store previous copies of reports in history folders, and how to maintain and troubleshoot Report Servers.
Students also spend a full day completing hand-on exercises demonstrating Integration Services (SSIS) features, including understanding the architecture of Integration Services projects and packages, as well as how to design and implement data integration routines using SSIS. Exercises will move data between XML, Excel, flat file and database formats, and they will also demonstrate how to modify data between source and destination. Adding error handing to SSIS routines is also reviewed as well as deployment and scheduling.
The final day covers how to create data cubes using Analysis Services (SSAS), which includes an overview of data warehouse design concepts and why data cubes typically pull their data from data warehouses. Hand-on exercises are performed that create, deploy, process and connect to data cubes.
Prerequisites: Familiarity with database concepts, Windows desktop navigation and software installation techniques. Attendance at SQL Programming course or Microsoft Transact-SQL Programming course is highly recommended although not required.
- Reporting Services Architecture
- Creating Basic Reports
- Setting Up Input Parameters
- Adding Custom Report Navigation
- Adding Drill-Down for Master-Detail Reports
- Pivoting Data with Matrix Controls
- Understanding Report Models
- Creating Reports with Report Builder
- Managing Security Roles
- Creating Snapshot Reports
- Storing Previous Versions of Reports
- Querying the Report Server
- Creating Custom Data Extensions
- Writing User-Defined Functions in .NET
- SSIS Architecture and Fundamentals
- Designing Data Integration with SSIS
- SSIS Data Transformation
- Deploying and Managing SSIS Projects
- OLAP and Data Warehouse Fundamentals
- Creating Analysis Services Cubes
- Cube Customization
- Cube Deployment and Security
- Course materials include student guide, hands-on lab manual and USB flash drive containing examples and lab files
- Students receive a certificate of completion at the end of class
- Students can retake any portion of a class that has been completed, within 12 months at no extra cost
- There are no registration fees or cancellation fees
- Class sizes are kept small in order to provide you with more personalized attention
- Our instructors have many years of training and industry experience working in their respective fields