Linux System Administration
Length: 5 days | Price: Please contact us for pricing information.
Students learn how to install, configure and maintain an Enterprise Linux system in a networked environment. Basic administrative tasks are covered such as: creating and managing users, creating and maintaining file systems, determining and implementing security measures and performing software installation and package management. Linux networking topics include installing and supporting SSH, NFS, Samba and the Apache Web server. Common security issues are discussed and several software tools are introduced such as the PAM modules that help secure the operating system and network environment. Comprehensive hands on exercises are performed throughout the course to reinforce learning and develop skills and competency. Upon successful completion of this course, students will be prepared to maintain Linux systems in a networked business environment.
Although the course includes installing and configuring a CentOS 7 / RHEL 7 Linux system, much of the course content also applies to Oracle, Ubuntu, Scientific and other current versions of mainstream Linux distributions. Labs include user and group maintenance, system backups and restoration, software management, administration tasks automation, file system creation and maintenance, managing remote access, working with cron, and configuring basic file sharing and Web services, as well as working with system logging utilities such as rsyslog and much more.
Prerequisites: Experience with common UNIX/Linux user-level commands, such as for moving, copying and editing files. Experience with the vi editor is a plus. Attendance at the UNIX/Linux Fundamentals course provides a solid foundation.
- System Administration Overview
- Installation and Configuration
- Booting and Shutting Down Linux
- Managing Software and Devices
- Managing Users and Groups
- The Linux File System
- Linux File Security
- Controlling Processes
- Working with the Linux Kernel
- Shell Scripting Overview
- System Backups
- Troubleshooting the System
- Basic Networking
- LAMP Server Basics
- Introduction to System Security
- The Samba File Sharing Facility
- Networked File Systems (NFS)
- Course materials include student guide, hands-on lab manual and USB flash drive containing examples and lab files
- Students receive a certificate of completion at the end of class
- Students can retake any portion of a class that has been completed, within 12 months at no extra cost
- There are no registration fees or cancellation fees
- Class sizes are kept small in order to provide you with more personalized attention
- Our instructors have many years of training and industry experience working in their respective fields